Monday, August 17, 2009

Letter To Home

Remember the story I wrote about my Uncle Frank?




Well from what I hear he STILL doesn't read my blog. Alas...Sigh.....anyway...



His wife, my Aunt Gayle, sent me these items this weekend...

This is Uncle Frank when he went into the Air Force...Handsome fella that guy...We all love Uncle Frank..He was the only boy in the family. He has 3 sisters. Matter of fact..his nickname was (is) ...get this..boy. I'm going to have to ask how that came about. Was the whole family amazed to finally get a boy that they just couldn't stop saying it? Whats the new baby? A boy!! Whats his name? Well..boy!!!!! See? Not kidding..
This is how he signed his name when he was in the Air Force and writing home to us.
I cant remember when I stopped calling him Boy. Maybe just a few years ago...After all he is not a "boy" anymore...anyway...

If you read the story about Uncle Frank he used to tease us when he babysat. Singing horrible songs and making us sit on the couch, etc. But I know now for a fact he missed us when he grew up and left and went into the Air Force. Its written all over the letters he wrote.. You did love us didnt you Uncle Frank????

See how he starts the letter? Dear Tidy?
That's my Moms nickname..Tidy....Another weird name..How did that one come about? I don't know that either..She is Tidy. Matter of fact she is a cleaning fanatic of sorts!!! So I'm going to guess that may be why? Mom!!!! Tell us!!!
Then to really add to this long list of crazy names, they have 2 other sisters....One whose name is Janet is called....Sissy...Yes its true..then there is the youngest one whose name is Emma and guess what they call her? You guessed it! Baby...
Now these folks are not little kids anymore...but all the childhood nicknames have stuck..Family reunions are funny with people shouting things like Sissy! Baby! Boy!! Hey Tidy!!!! You should be there, its a riot!!!!

Anyway..Look at the letter below...Uncle Frank was even thinking about me when he was away..I must have assumed he was going to surely get his own airplane when he went into the Air Force but he was letting me know he didn't.. Then they turn the lights off on him. I'm sure that made me sad to hear...and he wished he was home..Yeah right..I'm sure he did!! Wished he was back home to torture us kids he missed so much!





This was all back in 1968........




Look how much a stamp cost then....


Look how far away Uncle Frank (Boy) was from us at that time....That was a long long way from Pennsylvania to us kids...


Uncle Frank! Come back!! We miss you and we wont act up when you babysit again.!!! I love the Witch Doctor song! Come back and sing it to us!!! Come home...



I don't think Uncle Frank actually came back to live with us after that. If I remember right he got married shortly after that and had his own kids and moved about an hour away. We all grew up and went here and there and life moved on. But he is and always will be my favorite Uncle on my Moms side. My favorite Uncle Boy. Always...

PS. Thank you Aunt Gayle for making this segment possible. (She took these pictures and sent them to me....)

Love,
Me

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Uncle Frank really needs to read this blog.
    And Aunt Gayle is such a sweetie for sending you these photos.
    My Great Grandmother was called Tidy, too. I'm not sure why. But I believe it was her real name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you twisted fence post. my name is tidy and i never ever thought there was anyone with that name. my dad give me the name and i do not know why.i asked him years ago and he said i like that name. so he stuck me with a nickname and till this day i hate it. my name is Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. melinda, this is relly cool. even frank (boy) LIKED IT TOO. AND GAYLE LOVED IT. EMMA IS COMING TODAY I WILL LET HER SEE IT. SHE LIKED THE OTHER ONE. SHE LAUGHED. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. SOMEDAY YOU MAY BE A WRITER. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mothers are always your biggest fans...(((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete