Friday, August 14, 2009

Whoops....TIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ok..You all know that Mickey does excavating..That is his thing. He has done this for many many years. He traveled the country most of his life doing big pipeline construction. Then when Curt was in junior high, we decided he needed to be at home..Long story short, he started his own business a little over 10 years ago. Now he still does the same type of thing but on a much smaller scale. This is also what Mickey taught Curt to do...
It can be very dangerous work...They both have cut lines which can include gas. IF you cut a gas line, there is always the chance of an explosion. BOOM... So there is always that thought in their minds when they are doing the tedious digging. They must keep their head in the game and be very careful...This is not just playing in the dirt... These are serious machines...
Mickey is VERY good at what he does. He takes pride in his work and his very conscientious for his sake and for others... Keep that in mind as I proceed...
He calls me yesterday while I am at work...
"You'll never believe what just happened" he said..
All kinds of thoughts immediately run through my mind...
A.) He cut an electric line and the house where he is working is without electric.
B.) He cut a telephone cable (YIKES! EXPENSIVE!!) and the whole neighborhood is out..
C.) He broke the glass out of the track hoe. ( he has done this before, two in one day once)
"What happened?" I asked..
Well, I'll just show you...
He was digging for a plumber and was digging up the sewer line and cut roots on this TALL pecan tree. Evidently TOO many of the roots. It fell on the house!!!!!!!!!!
I think I'm going to rename this blog...."Mom! I cant make this stuff up!!!!"
Anyway..I think its all going to be ok...We DO have insurance of course. The house wasn't as badly damaged as it looks..
No one was hurt...
And he is back digging today....
Its just life ...things happen....but what a mess....
It will be ok, Mom...
Love,
Me

3 comments:

  1. Yikes!!!! See? This is what funny stories are made of...it just sometimes takes them awhile to be removed enough from the moment to be considered funny. lol 'Course, from my point of view, I've already arrived. I started laughing right after I gasped (and read that all was well!). Glad it wasn't my house, but I bet the neighbors still thought it was pretty flippin' cool. :)

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a video of a guy digging up a gas line that exploded and what a mess that was. I'm sure he always gets it blue staked or whatever they call it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the owners weren't too upset that he knocked over their pecan tree.
    They are like gold here and people can get right testy about their pecan trees.
    Glad it wasn't too bad!

    ReplyDelete