Thursday, September 10, 2009

The clearing of the woods

Mickey has been working and working and working on our woods. Our woods consist of 5 acres of thick brush and trees...And since that TERRIBLE ice storm that happened in December 2007, our woods are full of fallen limbs. Just a big mess. We have not utilized this patch of land since we moved here except for a path right down the middle with a turn around for riding the 4 wheeler. This is all about to change...






Lets go have a look...







Load up Bob, lets head to the woods!!!!!!








Yeah, Bob rides on the 4 wheeler....





He also rides the lawnmower, wheelhorse, track hoe. Whatever were doing, hes doing...





These machines of ours can do a lot of stuff.....Just look!!!











They can move a lot of trees and limbs....








Of course, a person has to know what they are doing to use this in the woods because of the falling trees and limbs. Very dangerous...Mickey is really good at operating..



Its his thing.








Mickeys pretty cool.










There is a lot of life down there!!!!!
Look!






Nature is wonderful....








Tell them the moss story !!!!

Ok...When I first moved to Oklahoma from Pennsylvania I lived in a neighborhood. Obviously, I have always been from the country and I missed it so much. Being on a street with too many houses was just not my style..


On a visit back to Pa, I packed up some moss from the woods behind my Grandmothers house. I tried to make it grow in the yard at my Oklahoma house, and of course it didn't work. I wanted moss so bad. I had read that you add buttermilk and keep moist etc to make it grow, but I couldnt..Anyway...Now I have moss!!!














And wild flowers.....











And a good dog...









And a family...And a job....I'm very blessed....






I came across this tree that was in the path that Mickey was going to clear...I thought it worthy of recognition.



I wonder what its story is? Did it just die and start to decay or was it hit by lightning? I cant tell. How old is it? Or was.








I found it beautiful....





I'm ultra excited about our new found land. I'm excited to watch the transformation as we clear and make it all a part of us. At the same time, leaving much of it to nature and her wondrous beauty and grace.







Love,Me
MOM, LOOK WHAT ELSE GROWS IN THE WOODS !!!!!
Prickly pear cactus....
PS....
When I first moved here to Okla, Mickey and I were out driving around and I saw some prickly pear in a ditch along this back road. I never saw it before and it had yellow blooms and looked lovely...!! I shouted for him to stop, and he pulled over and I got out and grabbed a shovel from the back of the truck and started to dig up some of the cactus. I didn't know ANYTHING about it and long story short, I gathered it up and ended up with hundreds of little tiny clusters of fine, tiny, barbed spines called glochids in my arms..... They are difficult to see and even more difficult to get out of your skin. It was horrible...
Then my Mom took some home with her and planted it in Pennsylvania. You would not believe how well that stuff grew there!! Incredible!!! Year after year! Living through harsh winters...
**********
Just wanted to give you all a warning because this cactus is not user friendly...!!!!
That is all....

3 comments:

  1. Bob is one talented dog! That ice storm did a ton of damage, didn't it? I love that you have trees and wildflowers on your property. And your dead tree trunk would have called to me too. In a couple of weeks or so we're having a real fence (yea, we can get rid of the chicken-wired temporary fence) put in for our kids. Then we'll start thinking about some trees. The acreage is so in need of trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it after it's cleared. We have a lot of downfall due to the 2 year drought we experienced. One of these days I'm gonna get out there and get it all cleaned up.
    Pretty little wildflowers.
    My Mother-in-law picked up some starts from along the road while we were visiting Charleston, SC. She stuck them in some dirt and they are growing like crazy. She may regret getting them started in the end. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep up the good work mickey. looks real nice. mom

    ReplyDelete