Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Getting ready for the flight

Not me but the hummingbirds....


This feeder is on our front porch. We have 5 total....this is our smallest one...






We have had a "flurry" of activity lately with this one feeder especially....



Hummingbirds will migrate north in the spring and start to arrive in February in the Southern United States and as far north as Alaska in May. They will then migrate south to Mexico and Central America in the fall starting in August through October.
Hummingbirds do not migrate on the backs of geese.




Would you believe me if I told you that Mickey has been filling this feeder twice a day?

I guess they are getting ready for the trip back to hummingbird land...
Each hummingbird will follow the same path or fly zone they did when they first made the trip. It is believed that they will follow this path the rest of their lives.



When hummingbirds are migrating, they usually do not stay very high off the ground. They have been reported to fly just above treetop level over land or pretty much skimming the top of the water ways. It is believed they do this to keep an eye out for a food or nectar opportunity on their long journey.



We are going to miss them...

Love,
Me
Ps..Please write!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to read your post today! We just bought a hummingbird feeder on clearance at the farm & ranch supply store the other day. I thought it might be too late to put it up this year but maybe it won't be. The facts in your post are really interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, my lovely daughter but i have to correct you. i have a birds and bloom book that tells me hummingbirds do go south with wild geese. they get under the wing of the geese. you are to keep your feeders out till the geese leave for the birds may want a drink for the trip. i am serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a few hummingbirds lately, but I can never get pictures.

    The monarchs will be fluttering through on their migration very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been noticing quite a bit of activity around mine lately too. Guess it's that time of year. I'll miss them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom...We have to talk...and why are you still anonymous when everyone knows your mymother? :) your funny!!! I will call you this weekend...so we can talk hummingbirds!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete