Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My secret and best recipe....ever....

Number 1, if you are from Pennsylvania I would say this recipe is no secret. It would be no surprise and probably a version of your own special and secret family recipe. But if you are from the south, I would think you do not make your macaroni or potato salad this way. But then, what do I know? Well one thing I know is dogs DO smile..

Show em Bob!!




Also I know that my Mother LOVES me because she has dial up and still reads my blog with the 700 pictures with every post! Thank you Mommy...


Ok here goes...Put a pot of water on to boil for your macaroni...


Then get a medium size sauce pan and add
1 cup of water


1 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons of flour

1 teaspoon of mustard.

1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

1 teaspoon of salt


Then 3 eggs. I like brown and wisk them up like this!!!!!

Then add it all in the saucepan and stir it all up really well like this!!!


Bring that all to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Be sure to stir a LOT because this will thicken as you go...You don't want it to stick..then just let it simmer while you get the rest of the stuff together..

Big bowl...
Big onion or medium depending how much you like onion. I like it a lot...And then about three stalks of celery. Then dice it all up like this...


Cook your macaroni according to directions.. About 3 and 1/2 cups...
Please rinse the macaroni and let drain.
And then...the secret...while the sauce is simmering...I add a teaspoon of celery seed to the mix. The heat kinda opens up the seed and distributes the flavor throughout.
Then turn off the heat and add REAL mayonnaise to the sauce. (I use 2 cups, but use what tastes best to you.) Stirring constantly to a smooth consistency. The sauce will be kinda tangy but don't worry because it will all calm down. Trust me..
Then just add the drained macaroni to the bowl with the chopped celery and onion and mix. Then slowly add the sauce and stir as you go. Add all of it or less whatever suits you. Even if it is a little *soupy* the macaroni will absorb it overnight. It is best to let this set overnight. Then the next day stir and serve.
This goes PERFECT with baked beans. Its just like salt and pepper. Clouds and sky. Rowan and Martin. Mickey and Me. Me and Bob.. Well you get the idea.
This is what it looks like before it sets over night. YUMMY.

You can also use the same sauce for potato salad. Now it wont absorb the excess like the macaroni does, so your consistency will remain pretty much the same as when you put it in the frig over night. So don't make it too soupy.
This is my signature recipe. Enjoy. Make it. Tell me what you think. Tell me what you did different to make it your own. You can add hard boiled eggs. Pickles I suppose. Whatever. Have fun...
Love,
Me

8 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try this very soon! It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Joan splashed us at the same time or I would have splashed you. :)

    I've never received an award before. I don't know if I did it right but here's the way I passed it on. I saved the little icon to a temp file (jpeg), created a new post with the info, added the file as a picture in the post saying I'd been splashed by Joan and linked to her blog. Then I listed those who I splashed linking to their blogs, and finally put a comment on each one of their blogs that they'd been splashed and to visit my blog. Of course I placed a comment on Joan's blog thanking her for the splash. I felt so honored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok..whew! I will have to do that tomorrow!! Thank you for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again....I'M HUNGRY! Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to find a recipe for potato salad, but haven't put much effort into it.
    And guess what happens...HERE IT IS!
    I'll definitely be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi becky,this is mom. this is a great recipe. it has been in our family for years.glad you like melinda's blog. my family looks forward to reading it everyday.sometime we wonder where she comes up with all she blogs but we sure get a kick from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're the only one, (save Nan, maybe) that I know of in Pa., that makes this that good.
    slb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Melinda! I made your recipe tonight and I know it will be wonderful tomorrow but I just had to taste it before it went into the fridge. Honestly I think I could have eaten the whole pot warm. Oh, my goodness. It was heavenly! This is going in my permanent recipe file. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete