Sunday, February 21, 2010

This weekend didnt go as planned

1. I didn't even start my tax work.



2. I am a 50 year old woman with old bones that ache when the weather turns.



3. I just wasn't in the mood, just being honest here...











First of all, Mom, here is a bird picture for you I took this morning..



I discovered a zoom on my camera that I didn't know existed. I am wayyyyyyy thrilled...This was one of those I took when I discovered it.







Mom, this birds for you!





So anyway, on Saturday I just did too much *house* stuff. I hauled wood, took up the trash, did extra barn things, house work, laundry, hung out and chatted with Mickey in the shop, bathed two dogs, etc...I should have just called it a day. Now, I'm not patting my back because I did all those things, matter of fact, just the opposite. I'm one of those people that sometimes has a hard time relaxing. Seems there is always something that needs done. So I keep going.


This is NOT a good thing.





Anyway..So Saturday night I had planned on trying a new recipe.. Two actually..


One I will call, *Peebly Road Chicken Roll*...



These are your ingredients..





Get yourself at least one cat and one dog to hang out in the kitchen with you as you prepare this meal. It helps. Keeps you company. Besides, they wouldn't rather be anywhere else than with you. Its true..





Take a chicken breast, boneless and skinless and put it inside a baggie. Then grab your tenderizer and start pounding the chicken breast out..As you pound, you can say whatever is giving you fits....Like for instance..



POUND.





I hate taxes.


Pound.


W-2's stink.


Pound.


SO do w-3's, 1099's, receipts, diesel expense, employee wage report, quarterly reports, losses..


Pound.


Profits..


UH? Wait! NO! I love profits..


By this time your chicken will look like this, which is identical to the picture above, but hey, I'm lazy. I didn't feel like changing it..


So then..











Take a few green onions, chopped and saute them in a skillet with a little butter. Not too much just enough to make them not totally raw tasting..





Take a bar of cream cheese and grate half a jalapeno and combine with the sauteed onions.





And add some salt and pepper. I used Sea Salt and coarse pepper..No special reason, just did..





Combine into a smooth mixture..





Then spread that onto that flattened chicken breast. And then roll from thinnest end up.









In the meantime you would have been frying bacon. Two slices per breast. Plus one more..I'll tell you why later...Don't cook the bacon two crispy as it will cook more in the oven. But the one extra piece, fry pretty crisp.

Now roll two slices of bacon around each breast and hold in place with a toothpick..




Put in a baking dish and cook at 350 for 35 to 45 mins. Keep checking. Don't overcook..Cook just until the juices run clear.




Now if I would have been a *normal* person
what I should have done then was pop one of those Uncle Bens rice packets in the microwave and made a small salad and waited patiently for the chicken to bake.

But no...not me...

Like I said..I cant relax and have to make things hard..My therapist is working with me. Ha! Translated means, I really DO need a therapist. In the meantime, I do things this way.

I try another dish I have never made before. All on the same night. Not good. Not good at all.

This is what you will need to make Arroz Verde, or simply, green rice
Cilantro
Spinach leaves
Chicken broth
Milk
Olive oil
Long-grain rice
Onion
Garlic

Now I'm not going to give the recipe here, because in fact it didn't turn out as planned. I needed to add more milk along the way and there was wayyyy too much cilantro in it.

There was a lot of blending involved. And chopping and measuring and tasting and...well just too much of everything. The chicken was done 20 minutes before the rice. I was overheated. I had the kitchen windows open.


And my clean kitchen looked like this...
Oh I forgot to add I had also made a big pot of homemade dog food that day too...It was not good...It was not pretty...I really didn't even get to enjoy the dinner...Please tell me I'm not the only one in the world that has felt this way? I would love to say it all went fine, but in reality, it just didn't.
Is that chicken one for the recipe file? Yes.
Would that rice be wonderful and delicious after I fine tune it a bit? Yes.



Because through all that, I did come up with this.
Garnish the rice with some chopped fresh cilantro and that crumbled piece of bacon you cooked and some teeny tiny pineapple chunks.
I'm sure it could be delicious and I do encourage you to give it a try. On a slow day, with a well rested body, and someone else to clean up the mess afterwards...



Tell me about your latest *not good mood*.
Love,
Me

3 comments:

  1. We're having pork chops tonight and I had thought of making a roast tomorrow night but that chicken looks so yummy it may have bumped the roast to Wednesday instead.

    I just knew that extra piece of bacon was going to be for Bob and Marley.

    I've been trying to perfect a recipe I've been working on for awhile now. I'm going to give it one more chance and if it doesn't work then that's it. I'll give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my most recent not good mood thing would be when I'm trying to understand some of this complicated Math and I'm reduced to tears because I just don't "get it". But I keep trying. It's getting better but I have a long way to go. What is really sad is that it makes me feel better that there are others in my class that are worse off not getting it than me. I know that sounds mean. But that's not how I mean for it to be. It just makes me feel better that I'm not the only one not getting it. Today in class I offered to help someone who failed our first test. I'm just waiting for her to call me. I hope she does and I HOPE that I can help her. She's already failed this class once. If I can help her get a C, she will pass and be done with Math.
    I thought that crispy fried piece of bacon was gonna be for you to munch on while you waited for the rest to get done. LOL

    ReplyDelete