Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tornados


Its May in Oklahoma.
That means Tornado's.

Ive been very busy here at my job at State Farm as you can imagine. The storm hit our area. It did not hit my house nor my sons house. We are all ok. I did go without electricity for one day but that was all. So many people are without homes. So many more without electricity still. Others, have died, sadly.

I stopped my car to take pictures of some of the destruction to share on my blog, but couldn't do it. I just cant take a picture of the spot where someones house once stood. The bathtub sits along the side of Peebly Road. Mattress hanging in a tree. Debris everywhere.
I drive past that area everyday on my home from work. A little meadow is right there. I would always glance over to my right to look at all the horses that would be grazing. Now, there is nothing but mangled trees. I'm afraid to wonder what happened to the herd.
The Rider family is mourning more than the loss of property. Tammy Rider and her three young children took refuge in a mobile home when Monday's large tornado came rumbling through Little Axe. Tammy was killed in the storm; her children, 9-year-old Jason, 3-year-old Ethan and 1-year-old Regan also suffered critical trauma.Cousin Rich Rider says, "We just need support and prayer, pray like no other. That's all we can do."The Monday storms are blamed for three deaths in Cleveland County and two in Oklahoma City.
A family remembers a 55-year-old Navy veteran killed in Monday's Oklahoma storms.
David Patterson was helping his family unload a recreational vehicle at 59th Street and Peebly Road in Oklahoma City when a tornado lifted the RV off the ground, knocking it onto Patterson.
His brother-in-law told Eyewitness News 5 that he was standing next to Patterson when it happened. He said the wind blew them in opposite directions.
"I was just trying to cover my face, and I just kept rolling over in the ditch over there," said Roy Beller.
Patterson only recently moved to Oklahoma, about a month ago from Oregon.
So the little bit of inconvenience I am going through is nothing compared to this.
Please keep the family members in your thoughts and prayers today.
I will post about this when I get a minute..This was the first time that we used our storm shelter on Peebly Road. Bob went in there too.



More bad weather today..But the news guys said this morning they are just looking for wind and hail. The hail at my house on Monday was the size of a softball. I didn't have my wits about me to even think about taking a picture. I was dodging hail and rain to get into the shelter while carrying Bob and my purse and wondering about going back for Marley who I left in the house. And the 5 kittens. And Shirley and Sandy, the dogs in the shop. And Ben and Delilah in the pasture with the goats.
What to do? It was so fast. I had just got home from work. Mickey looked at me while we were in the shelter and said, "Why are we only saving one dog?".
Fortunately, this time, nothing happened. I don't have to live with the regrets of who do I save?

Too many emotions for me to keep going with the story today. Never mind that the tornado was headed in the directions of my kids house.
More later, when I can handle it.

Love,
Me

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're safe. It is awful, that feeling of who do I save?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart. I'm so glad your family and animals all made it through the tornadoes safely. I have been praying and will continue to pray for all those effected by the storms. So terribly sad.

    I've thought quite a bit about how I'd get all 4 of our dogs rounded up to go to our safe room if need be. I'm thinking they would just follow me but one can never be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine what you are going through. I don't like those stong SCARY storms. I can sleep like a big dog during a thunderstorm. But when the wind is raging and the warnings are out, I am on pins and needles until it's passed.
    I am so glad you are all okay. This was your first test run. Next time you'll be more prepared.
    Tornadoes are getting more frequent around here. And I don't like it one bit!
    So sorry to hear about Tammy and the others. Monday was a very sad day in OK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a daughter who lives in the south XXX and 104th area. Everything was fine there, just hard finding a way to work due to mess at Choctaw Road. I can remember the first tornado I ever saw, in the late 60's we lived in Enid, I looked out the back porch windows and there it was in all its glory. But it was ugly! I saw all kinds of trash, clothes, metal. It was coming right at me. I turned to run out to front of the house to my family, running so fast I stubbed my toe and almost broke my toe!
    Then we watch as it passed about three blocks down the street. I will say most all of us OKIES have seen our fair share of tornados here in tornado alley.

    ReplyDelete