Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Porters Salve

If you are from the northeast, you may already be familiar with this. I know that ever since I can remember, there has been a can of this stuff in my Moms house and at my Grandmas. Actually, come to think of it, at my aunts house too! If you had a splinter or a scrape, you broke out the Porters Salve.

Porters Salve could fix anything!!!I mean that! You could rest assured that when you put a gob of this on your "boo boo" by the next morning, it was on its way to being well healed. If you had a splinter, it would pull it right out over night!! Im not kidding! Magical it tis.

This can is probably 8 years old or so. My grandmother bought it and gave it to me on one of my trips back home to Pennsylvania. This will probably last me another 8 years until I will need another.

Its some good stuff. I say no home should be without a can of Porters Salve.



Porter's Salve History
Porter's Salve was formulated in 1916 in Piqua, Ohio, by the George H. Rundle Company. The salve was sold door-to-door by traveling salesmen for many years. There has been no formal advertising for Porter's Salve. Sales have been generated mostly by word of mouth, from satisfied customers telling others of Porter's Salve's soothing, healing properties. The original name was changed from Porter's Pain King Salve to its current name, due to a request from the FDA. The reference to liniment was made because this salve was formulated from the Porter's original product, liquid Porter's Liniment.
Recommended as a "beneficial application for bruises, rough and cracked skin caused by inclement weather, insect bites, sunburn and local irritations," it is advocated for use on both man and beast alike. The salve has a drawing quality, which works particularly well on slivers of metal, wood, or glass, beneath the surface of the skin.
This product, not highly advertised other than by word-of-mouth, has gained attention throughout the United States, Canada, and many countries abroad. Known for its healing powers, Porter's Liniment Salve, gets new customers by recommendations of satisfied users. The company is headquartered in Covington, Ohio and is a family owned business.
Check it out.
Get you some.
Love,
Me

13 comments:

  1. I've never heard of of this salve before. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! I come from NE but I've never seen this salve before... it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of it here either.
    Thanks for the word of mouth advertising! tee hee
    I'll be checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, girl. I'm from North Carolina and we have ALWAYS had a tin of this is our house. My mama's people brought it to NC from Tennessee and we've turned many a person on to it since. I noticed the fingertip marks in your tin--we always keep a toothpick in our tins to apply it with. Mama says that was my Mimi's trick to keep her and her sister from using too much. You could only use as much as a toothpick end would hold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family is from the northeastern part of Indiana - we always had a tin of this in the house and everytime I go back home and look in my mom's bathroom cabinet, there is still a tin there - and I truly think it's the same one!! GREAT STUFF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This stuff is great! I remember my mom using it on my splinters when I was a little kid. Our local drugstores don't carry it any more, so when we ran out (it lasts forever) I had to buy a new can on the Internet. How ironic- a 100 yr old product that is only available on the Internet, lol. I turned my 21 yr old son on to it when he got a splinter at work, so now another generation is keeping this wonderful old product alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother always had a tin of this when growing up. She would only use this salva when infection had set in. Whn I say infection that meant that we had red streaks running up our legs or arms. My mother would only apply a very thin layer to the wound over night. The next day the bandage would be removed, the wound would be reddish pink and the red streaks would be gone. Once you have looked at the bandage you could see all the inection that was pulled from the wound on the bandage. This saved many of my family members a trip to the hosipital due to the infection setting in (i.e. Red Streaks). My mother used the last of her salva on a family friend, she had cut her toe on a dirty piece of glass. Prior to appling the salva the toe was a very dark red and swollen and red streaks had started to run up her leg. After one application the infection was all drawn out and the wound had the appears as descibed above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father swore by this stuff - he used it on my son who also thinks it is miraculous. I hope so, I have it on my foot right now, trying to draw out a sliver of glass.

    ReplyDelete
  9. will this work for eczema?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, this salve is the best. Have used it since I was a kid. Getting ready to order some for stocking stuffers for my married children.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has been in our families household since I can remember as a child. We used if on our cows and on ourselves whenever we had a skin breakage. It is clean smelling and as someone already commented "heals overnight". I am buying a can as a gife for all of my friends. No home sould be without.

    ReplyDelete