Wednesday, September 1, 2010

So..it took a village

One of the things I had planned to do on my trip back to be with my grandma was to fix her living room walls. As you can see behind her couch, the wallpaper is coming off. Her cat was responsible for the damage. Something needed done. My grandmother has not slept in her upstairs bedrooms for over 30 years. She sleeps right there on that couch. And what she has to look at is that horrid wallpaper. So...

I was on a mission. My first recruit was my mother. She took me to the paint store where I bought everything I thought I would need. Scrapers, paint, primer, spackling, brushes, rollers, etc, etc....My brother told me he would be up to help one day also. My uncle and my aunt came up and helped me scrape and pull off wallpaper.

That took hours. Then my mom and her husband, Jim, came down the next day to help paint. But I wasn't anywhere near ready. I tried to roll on the primer and more sheets of wallpaper came down. It was a mess. It was hot. It was a mess. Did I say that already?

Then my brother showed up to help. He walked into the room and basically said it wouldn't do. So he ran to the store and bought a couple more buckets of spackling and got busy spreading it all over the walls. He was a big help. He saved the day I can assure you.

My brother and I have always been close. We even had our picture taken together when we were adults. See? Close.

Well I had to let the spackling dry overnight and then the next morning my Mom and Jim showed up. Jim came to help me paint. My mother dove in and began to wash windows.Jim grabbed the roller and began to paint. If it had not been for his help, I would still be there painting today.
James Dean rides again!!!

Actually this is my brothers bike, but Jim looks like a natural on it, don't you think?


So we finished the painting..We put the room back together. We washed the draperies. It took 3 days and a village of help....
I dont know why I dont have a picture of the room all finished. I seemed to have skipped that part. But I can promise you that I have a very happy grandmother with a fresh living room.
Thanks to all of you that helped me. I couldn't have done it without you.
You too James Dean!
Love,
Me

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful "village" you come from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with OK Granny!
    I think he Jim looks like a natural, too. I can hear the engine revving from here.
    I know you're Grandmother is so happy not only because of the work that you ALL did, but because you cared enough to do it for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive work! Talking about it didn't do it justice. Loved the food pictures!! hahah! Plan to try the recipe too. If you need more garlic, it ships easily!!

    The nephew's girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete