Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tomato hornworms...gotta love them...Not

Photo credit: Extension Entomology, Texas A&M University

Tomato Hornworm
Scientific name: Manduca quinquemaculata (Haworth)
(Lepidoptera: Sphingidae)
Facts: Tomato hornworms are large (some as long as 4 inches), green caterpillars with diagonal white bars on the sides and a slender horn at the tip of the body. Adults have long, sucking tubes for mouthparts, while larvae have chewing mouthparts. Larvae and adults often are confused with the tobacco hornworm it closely resembles. The tobacco hornworm feeds on the same plants and sometimes is more common than the tomato hornworm.



Last evening Mickey and I were on a mission.  Our tomato plants were looking...bad.   Not just because of the heat but because we knew they had been invaded by hornworms... Within a 15 minute period we plucked a dozen of these vine eaters off our precious plants.  Tonight I will be spraying a gentle insecticidal soap and then fertilizing.  The heat has been terrible for our little garden.  These worms aren't helping a thing!!

This weekend Miss Rita will be sheared...
As you can imagine, she will be feeling much cooler to be rid of all the fleece..




Its Thursday and the weekend is near...
I'm missing some sweet faces ....and I hear theres a new movie in town.


If all goes well,  we may go .   

Love,
Me

4 comments:

  1. She's so cute!
    Luckily, I haven't had a problem with those nasty worms this year.
    But I've had some kind of worms eating into my cucumbers. Grrrrrr! I've never seen those before. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just gotta wonder sometimes why God created some of the creatures He did - like those bugs that eat plants up.

    The movie sounds like fun and it will be cool inside the theater. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monday, August 9, 2011 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Tomato Hornworms, I'd never even seen one before. They scared the beejeezus out of me! My hair is still standing on end from my find. My husband found at least 8 of these things munching away at green tomatoes, cleverly camouflaged. As disgusted as I am about all this, I can't help but be fascinated by them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was picking up sticks today, when I found i big, green, round and red caterpillar. I live near Pittsburgh, PA. It looks like a redening oak leaf rolled up. but it was moving like a caterpillar. Does anyone know what it was?

    ReplyDelete