Friday, August 26, 2011

Nanny, I'll love you forever...........

My grandmother passed away on August 19th, 2011.



My heart is broken.

She lived for 91 years,  9 months and 8 days. 

I had my grandmother for nearly 52 years.  But selfishly, it wasn't enough.

I will miss her every day of my life.

Just a couple of weeks ago I attended a funeral for one of my insureds..I called Nanny on my way back home and told her about it.  I said that friends had stood up and spoke about the man and what he meant to them and some told funny stories about good times.  Nane said,  "I don't know how people do that,  do you?"  I said, "No I don't, I couldn't do it."    I decided that my final gift to my grandmother would be to stand up and tell everyone what a wonderful person she was.  So I did it.  It was hard at first and hard to finish but I got through it..I will share this with you...


You may know her as Cleona, Chap, Chappie, Mom, Nane or Nanny.  She got the name Chap because when she was a kid they would say she walked like Charlie Chaplin.  And she did..

Nanny loved her family.  There was never any doubt about that.  The door remained open to anyone for as long as she lived.  The light was left on for many many years welcoming you back home to Nannys house..
She was able to remain in her home right up until the last day of her life with the help of her family and sheer determination on her part.  She was a tough lady.  We should all be very proud.

You should also know how every helping gesture was appreciated no matter how small.  Every time someone did repairs, mowed the grass, did her hair or her nails, paid the bills, cleaned the house and cooked for her, got the mail, took her to her appointments and then out to eat, plus all the many many other things it takes to remain independent in your home, she was thankful for it all.  You all allowed her to stay at her home.    She would often say...."I'm so lucky to have such a good family" or "Thank you for being so good to me."  She knew she was blessed with the love of  family. 

Your memories of Nane will be many.   Her faith in YOU and the guidance she shared will sustain you thru your lifetime.  You will always think...Nanny said...

Nanny said...

Get off the cave!!  (Although a lot of times you may not have listened.  Perhaps even jumping from the cave to the house roof.  Don't think she didn't know it!)

Nanny said..
Stand up straight.
Get that hair out of your eyes.
Pick up your feet.
Whatever you want, get it.
Sit down awhile.
You don't have to leave yet, do you?

How many times did you hear, are you SURE that's enough potatoes?
Peel another one for Nanny now wont you?
Other memories will be...
Sitting at the kitchen table for hours and hours, talking about whatever came to mind.  Reading the paper to her and perhaps painting her nails...other times putting up her hair or just looking out the window.  You never knew just who might be coming up the driveway or perhaps we could guess what kind of car was going "up the road"...

You will remember dinners at Nanny house..The dining room being full of people and crowded.  Just like she liked it.  Roast chicken was probably on the table.  And always plenty of stuffing and she wasn't going to run out of mashed potatoes.

You will remember Nannys fried chicken.

Perhaps also a memory will be spending the weekend, but only when it was "your turn".  Sometimes you could stay along with another sibling or cousin but typically it was one at a time.

You will remember that big bible with the pictures.

You will think of all the stray cats Nanny fed.

You will remember minced bologna sandwiches, milk by the gallons, many pots of coffee, spaghetti sauce simmering, cracking walnuts, picking up pine cones, hopscotch on the sidewalks, a large front porch to run and play on with a big chalkboard.  You will remember getting a "talking to" when you were messing up and and the best praise in the world for something good.    

Each of you will have your own personal thoughts and memories to take with you.  That is what she gave to you that was special just to you.  Keep those close to your heart.  She was always there for you in your own special way.  

Nanny loved..

Nanny loved us..She loved eating together..  She loved African violets. 
She loved..
surprises
singing happy birthday to us
shoes and
sweaters
She loved her memories growing up down home in Mifflin...

Nanny didn't like bananas...

Nanny was a Christian..She read and studied her bible.  She so enjoyed going to Sunday School when she was able and discuss the lesson of the week.  We are certain today that she is on the debate team in heaven.  They now have their work cut out for them.  She told it like it was.  Good or bad.

Nanny loved to laugh and appreciated a good joke..even the colorful ones.  She loved to end her phone calls on a light note with a laugh or a smile.  She often said to go to your job with a smile on your face and the world will smile with you.  She is smiling at us today because her favorite thing of all was having everyone together.

She loved collecting dolls and angels.  She seemed to get inspiration through these gifts and today we all know Nanny was OUR inspiration, OUR gift in life and an angel today.  She is flying free without any burdens, no pain and with her loved ones who went before.  Dont be sad for her today.
Celebrate that you had this much time to spend with such a beautiful lady.
She taught us well.
WE have all been the ones that have been blessed.
SO, onward we shall go!





Love you Nanny, and thank you for loving us so well...

Love forever
Me
and Mickey and all the rest of us.. 
and Bob..


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Not only was she loved but so were those who loved her.
    I'm so sorry. I know it's hard to lose someone you love and there are no words to ease your pain. Just know that you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sweetie! I'm so sorry to hear of your precious Nanny's passing. I know your heart is breaking and I pray that you feel God's comforting arms around you. You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful person in your life teaching you along the way to be the wonderful grandmother you have become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your Nanny's passing! Its great to have been blessed with a wonderful person in your life and seems that she was furry special!

    Many Wags and Licks,
    Mollie Jo and BObo

    Pee Ess: come to our blog we have a request fur you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman and everyone was better for having known her. I'm so glad she was in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this was very well thought and written well. I love you very much and wish we were closer for the fact is you have always been someone I have looked up to all my life. You were always there for me and we never ever fought. I love you and I know you will miss our Nanny. But I am sure Dad is enjoying sitting and talking to her, prolly about the grandchildren and the great grandchildren. And the things we have accomplished in our life, and maybe even what we have done wrong. just think no more suffering for her, she is with the angels now, and she is angel herself. I love you sis

    ReplyDelete