Monday, February 13, 2012

Update on Marley

After Marley had the seizure last week she seemed ok.  It did appear that her left eye was more clouded and was beginning to bother her, but aside from that, seemed ok.

Saturday morning around 5 am, she began to get restless.  She was up then down then sitting and also felt warm like a fever.  She didn't want to eat nor drink.  She appeared disoriented and was not able to walk very well.  I called the Vet who returned my call promptly and told me to have her in the office by opening at 9 am.  
We were there.

The vet said that Marley more than likely had a stroke.  She wanted to run some blood tests on her and diagnose her then they would call me.

I left her with them (even tho I didn't want to) and went home for a few minutes and then off to the feed mill, etc.  After an hour of errands, I phoned the vet to see if they knew anything yet but they didn't.  I told them no matter what,  I wanted her to come home that day and not have to spend the night there.  I was all prepared mentally, as much as possible,  for what would most likely be the inevitable.  After a seizure last week and now this, I expected the worst.

The vet called at 1:30 and told me I could come get her and they would send her home with meds and a later follow up visit scheduled.  

The blood work didn't show any infection but she did have a fever.  The *infection* was/is probably still isolated to a certain spot  in the tissue (somewhere)  and hadn't gone as far as getting into the bloodstream yet.  No diabetes etc showed up in the blood work, but still sure of the stroke.   

Saturday afternoon was spent just sleeping.  She still was shaking from the fever and didn't want anything to eat etc.  In the evening I got some chicken broth and some yogurt in her and she really started to improve somewhere around midnight or so.  The shaking was letting up and she looked more alert.  Sunday morning she ate pretty well and then just rested for the rest of the day.  Last evening she was up and walking normal and eating and about bedtime last night she was pretty much back to her spunky self.  She even gave a few barks to tell me it was time to go to bed.  

So I went ahead and came to work today and left her at home after a good breakfast, medicine and asleep on a comforter with a pillow and extra blanket.  
What started out as a really bad and uncertain weekend ended up pretty well I think.

I will let you know more as the week goes on about her progress.

Love, 

Me 







2 comments:

  1. Crossed paws that she continues to improve!

    -Mollie and Bobo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her heart! I hope she's still doing well.

    ReplyDelete