Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Baltimore Oriole



The Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula) is a small icterid blackbird that commonly occurs in eastern North America as a migratory breeding bird. This bird received its name from the fact that the male's colors resemble those on the coat-of-arms of Lord Baltimore. Like all icterids called "orioles", it is named after an unrelated, physically similar family found in the Old World: the Oriolidae. At one time, this species and the Bullock's Oriole, Icterus bullockii, were considered to be a single species called the Northern Oriole.
Wikipedia


This little fellow is a LONG from Baltimore but good thing for us he showed up on Peebly Road on Sunday morning..To say that we were excited about seeing this colorful bird is quite the understatement.. Mickey grabbed the binoculars and I had to try to get some kind of a picture of him before he disappeared on us.  Mickey quickly looked him up in our every present bird identification book, and shared with me the fact that this particular bird LOVES oranges and grape jelly.

I got to work.


I sliced some oranges and plopped down an overly generous amount of grape jelly on a plate and promptly set it up on the wooden structure you see below.








Alas, I have not spotted the beautiful bird since nor have I thought to check the plate....I just may have to remember to do that tonight.

We thoroughly enjoyed the sighting and will continue to keep a watchful eye to the sky.


Perhaps not the most exciting thing that happened in the world this past weekend but I'll take it.

Simplify.


Do you enjoy bird watching?

Tell me.


Love,
Me
 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete