Friday, March 15, 2013

Blue collar roots




Its hard to say how far back and how deep these roots run.  I know that my great grandfather (below) worked for the railroad in Pennsylvania.  He walked many many miles each day checking the rails to be certain all was fine.  My grandmother told me they had one of the very first phones because he was always on call.  This man was a very hard working man.  He was also an electrician on the side.  The story my grandmother told is that he wired a lot of the homes in Mifflin, Pennsylvania and didn't charge people a thing for doing it.  They only had to pay for the materials but he refused to take a dime for his time or labor.

A good man.


Below you will see a picture of my dad working on a pipeline job.  (white shirt)  This is the only work my father ever did.  Its a hard job.  Long hours. You are subjected to the weather and really its very dangerous work.  Sometimes I wonder if most Americans realize what all is involved in making this country run.  If they really ever think about just who is responsible for getting products out that most take for granted.
My dad lost his life doing this.  My dad was a good man.


My brothers and my husband continued in this type of work.   




My brother (below) still works on the big pipeline jobs.  Hes a good man.


Mickey has down sized the size of track hoe he runs these days.   
Its still a very dangerous occupation.  Many times you are subjected to extreme weather and less than desirable conditions.  But he does it everyday.  He does it even tho hes getting older and its not as easy as it once was.  Because that's just what you do when your a good man.  And he is.

Im proud of all of them.

Love,
Me 
  

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful piece! My dad spent some time in and around Cushing. I can't recall him talking about ever being on a job in Pennsylvania, but he did do quite a lot in Connecticut and Ohio in the 50s and some before that.

    Be assured that he had the highest respect for a good backhoe operator. I can remember him literally beaming with delight when watching a friend operate his backhoe while doing some work around the house. Of course, the bigger the hoe, the more skill required. So, my dad would have considered it an honor to be in the company of your good men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would this country be without the "good men" who built and continue to build it?!
    My man is a "good man" too and I thank God that he gave him to me.

    ReplyDelete